Do you like to make video content on Instagram and Facebook?
And then, of course, you’d love to share it with your newsletter subscribers in MailChimp…
But MailChimp will only let you embed YouTube and Vimeo videos….so how do you do it???
It IS possible with this manual workaround 🙂
You will need this video to watch along and pause me to make it happen. Some vague instructions are outlined below the video.
Basic written instructions
Basically, this process involves grabbing a screenshot of your social media video post, turning that into an email suitable sized image and linking the image in the email to the social media post.
Which sounds great as a one liner, but there are a few hurdles, like what size should the image be and how to get the correct URL for the social media video.
So let’s get to it.
- Go to your social media video on Facebook or Instagram
- Take a screenshot of the video
- Find the URL of the video. If you’re in Instagram it’s relatively easy from the desktop to get the URL. You DO have to make sure you’re in the actual post page and NOT the preview. But if you’re on Facebook, it can be confusing. You need to find the permalink of the post which you can find by clicking on the time it was posted. This is displayed under the name of your page like the image above. Once you click on that link, you get the URL of the video. Not making sense? Check out the vid.
- Now it’s time to go into Canva and create an email freindly image. What do I mean email friendly? Well, if the image is too large, it won’t send well from MailChimp, so it’s better to resize it first. PLUS, this way you get to add a “Play” icon on top so it’s clear to click play and watch.
- Once inside Canva create a custom image, like 500x500px.
- Then you can import your screenshot.
- Drag the image into the design space.
- Click “elements” on the left sidebar and search for “play” – you can choose a play icon you like. You can change the colour or whateer you like.
- Now it’s time to download your design. Click download – png or jpg is great.
- Go to MailChimp and start your email campaign.
- Once you’re in design mode, drag “Image” over from the right sidebar options.
- Pop your image in
- Link it to your video url/permalink
Now you should have a link in your email from people to view your social media video!
How did you go?
Let me know if you have more questions and I’ll make another video to help you 🙂
“I pay my respects and acknowledge the people of the Yuin Nation, traditional custodians of the land on which I live and work. I also pay respect to all Elders — past, present and future.”
Got more MailChimp questions?
I now offer MailChimp mentoring so you can tame your MailChimp and really get the most out of it. It’s currently in Beta mode (test run) so I don’t have a fancy sales page for you 🙂
However I do have this social media post.
If you would like more information, you can email me. I’m also offerring this for MailerLite.